So we are officially on Week 4 of the Meatless Monday series and this week we decided to do Veggie Fajitas. I went as far as to make the tortillas from scratch & let me say never again will I make that trip to the store to purchase tortillas out of a package, for me its just not right when they were so easy to make. Not to mention how amazing they were in taste. And knowing exactly what we were putting into our body made us feel so good about what we were eating. I am posting how to make the tortillas first & then the fajitas. Ready, set, EAT!!!
Homemade Smoked Paprika Tortillas (the paprika gives them a beautiful golden color)
***Thanks to my special friend, McKenzie for this awesome recipe***
1 3/4 - 2 cups Bread (or all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoom smoked Paprika (omit for regular white tortillas)
1/4 cup Crisco (NOT butter-flavored, it doesn't taste right)
1/2 cup very hot water (used just a tad more than this with the Bread flour)
1. In the bowl of a food processor (using the dough blade) add the flour, paprika & salt. Pulse to blend.
2. Add shortening and pulse to blend. With the food processor running, add hot water and run until a ball almost forms.
3. Dump tortilla dough out on the counter. Knead the dough slightly just to get it smooth. Pat into an even ball and then cut into 8 even triangles. Roll each triangle into a smooth ball and set aside. Let rest for about 5 mins.
4. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick pan on medium heat, ungreased. Or if you want to use a open griddle (like I did) preheat to 400. You want it to sizzle when a dop of water "dances" on the surface, but does not sputter. After the dough has rested about 5 mins, roll out each ball into a thin circle (7-8"). Place circle on preheated skillet/GRILL and allow to cook until pillows of dough form, then flip. Cook an additional minute and serve.
And now for the Veggie Fajitas!!!!
2 tablespoons butter (I used unsalted, only b/c I bake & its what I had on hand)
1 clove garlic, grated
1/2 large yellow onion diced
1/2 small package button mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
Garish with Kalamata Olives, Diced Avocado, shredded Cheese, Cilantro, Sour Cream
1. In a 10 in skillet, over med high heat melt butter, add garlic & onions. Saute til onions are translucent.
2. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for additional 5 mins or until they start to brown.
3. Add chili powder & cumin, salt & pepper to taste
4. Remove from heat and assemble
Burk's - sorry for the bad lighting here, he ran into the other room to starting eating before I had a chance to get a pic & I knew better than take away his plate at feeding time...