Tuesday, January 11, 2011
My love for Spanakopita is very real & runs deep. But the traditional dish is not as easy to assemble, as this one is. So, I hope this recreation has you loving to prepare it & as much as we love to eat it.
10 oz bag of fresh spinach, placed in food procerssor in batches to chop up (you can shortcut this by purchasing 10 oz bag of frozen spinach but I just prefer the fresh)
1 pie crust (mine was homemade but prepacked frozen works just fine)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of crumbled feta
1 cup of shredded monteray jack
2 green onions, finely chopped
1-2 clove garlic, grated
1 tablespoon dried dill
1 tablespoon dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Take the chilled dough, press it into the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan. Dock it & place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove & set aside.
3. Turn it up to 400 F
4. In a skillet over medium high heat, cook spinach in 1 to 2 T olive oil & squeeze out excess water, remove from heat. Salt & pepper to taste
5. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs & milk
6. In the skillet add spinach, cheeses, garlic & spices.
7. Take the spinach mixture & add it to eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour everything into the prepared crust (it's ok if it flows over the crust). Place the pie in the oven for approximately 35 - 40 mins or until the filling is set. ENJOY!!!
Note: I did not get the entire mixture into a 9 inch pie pan, what was left over I just placed in the fridge & we will use later.
Inspired by http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/3103609