Well, the secret is out...by now ya'll have figured out that I love taking things like classic american comfort foods and turning them into something different & FUN!! And this pizza completely fulfilled it's culinary destiny. We wanted to pick up this entire thing, fold it half and eat every bite of it...it was SOOOO GOOD. You have probably also figured out that we are not really ground beef kinda people so this recipe is with ground turkey but it's not without loads of flavor. It's very easy to turn lean ground turkey into a wonderfully flavored meat just by adding 1 key ingredient...Worcheshire sauce!! It's my secret ingredient when it comes to making ground turkey taste like ground beef, so there you have it folks..another one of my secrets revealed ~snickers~. So tell me what's your favorite burger that you would LOVE to turn into a pizza??
1 13" pizza dough (mine came from our fav pizza place, Memphis Pizza Cafe)
4 slices bacon
1 lb ground turkey (season to taste, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper)
Couple dashes of Worcestershire
2/3 cup Cheez Whiz
2 T red onion, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup your favorite cheese, shredded (used a Cheddar Jack blend)
Garnish with Lettuce, tomatoes (which we omitted since I can't eat) and pickles
1. Place stone in oven & preheat oven to 450F
2. In a preheated skillet over med high heat, place bacon and cook. Remove and set aside, reserving 1 T bacon fat.
3. Place ground turkey in skillet and brown. Season according to taste, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika were my flavors that were added. At the very end I went around the pan a few times with the Worcestershire sauce.
4. Place Cheez Whiz in a microwave safe bowl & warm on high for maybe 30 secs, remove and stir. Remove stone from oven (be careful, it will be VERY hot) and place dough on it before you begin assembling. I made the mistake of trying to assemble the pizza on the cardboard and had a very hard time transferring it. Spread cheez whiz on dough. Then add your meat (I didn't use all of it, had a little left over but that was just me...feel free to pile it on), then onions, bacon and finally shredded cheese.
5. Place in oven and cook for approximately 10 mins or until cheese is melted and dough is cooked. Garnish with lettuce, tomato, pickles...pretty much whatever you enjoy most on your burger.
Makes 8 slices