As Fall is just around the corner, our kitchens will be simmering with fresh soups, so here's a new one that you & your family are sure to fall in love with. This is hands down, BEST broccoli cheese soup we have EVER had!! And I have no doubt that when you try it you will agree. This broccoli and cheese soup puts a unique twist on an old classic. By spicing it up just enough but remember you can control the heat by adding more or less cayenne, to suit your tastes. Cayenne also acts as a flavor enhancer, not just spicy heat, so it's actually great to have on hand to add a pinch or dash to a dish, here and there. When I garnished with the cayenne, it really kicked it up the heat level so that's why I suggested the garnish as optional if you prefer less heat. But what goes in the soup itself, is a must & just right amount to not overpower it at all.
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 onion, diced
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
2 large cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoon flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups half & half (whole milk)
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) pepper jack cheese, grated (avoid using pasteurized processed)
season with salt & white pepper to taste (suggestion: 2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Garnish with pepper jack cheese & dash of cayenne (opt)
- In a 5 1/2 qt dutch oven, slightly salted, bring water to a boil & blanch broccoli for 2 mins. Drain, rinse in cold water to stop the cooking & set aside. (skip this if you bought frozen)
- Return pot to the stove & reduce heat to medium, melt 2 tablespoons butter then add onion. Saute' for several minutes, until translucent and soft. Add garlic & cook for 1 more minute.
- Push everything in the pot, away from the center to create a hole in the middle to make your roux. Melt last 2 tablespoons butter, add flour and stir together til all the flour is soaked up, don't worry if some of the onions get mixed in. Stir everything in the pot together and cook for 1 minute to get out the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add in your stock & half & half, 1 cup at a time, stirring to incorporate. Simmer for about 20-30 mins (be sure it doesn't boil, just needs to get hot enough to thicken up).
- Add pepper jack cheese, stir still melted. Then add broccoli, season to taste & finally your cayenne, at the very end. ENJOY!!
Makes about 4 servings